About Thorpe Mandeville
View from Banbury Lane, Thorpe Mandeville
Banbury Lane, Thorpe Mandeville
Set in the rolling hillsides of south-west Northamptonshire, six miles north-east of Banbury and its M40 motorway junction, the small rural parish comprises about 1030 acres (417 hectares). The short, west boundary borders Oxfordshire.
The hamlet of Lower Thorpe in a valley to the north-east of the village has been devastated by the onset of the HS2 railway.
When visiting the village use postcode OX17 2EY for directions. A Google map of the parish can be found on the Contact Us page.
Parishioners' livelihoods were previously centred on rural activities but whilst farming continues, the village is now primarily a base for commuters and the retired.
The village may have originated as a Danish settlement - Thorpe is an Old Norse name for a village. (Mandeville is a corruption of Amundeville – Richard de Amundeville was lord of the manor during the thirteenth century.) The population has not altered greatly in recent centuries, rarely exceeding 200.
Thorpe Mandeville Manor
The village stands on a former livestock drovers' route, 'Banbury Lane.' Further information regarding the history of the village may be found on the independent website www.thorpe-mandeville.co.uk .
The manor house probably dates from circa 1700. It replaced a former manor house which stood west of the church.
The Parish Church
The parish church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, dates back to at least the early 14th century. It has Grade I listed building status. Features include a saddle-back tower roof, an impressive early 17th century monument to the Kirton family, a 14th century wall painting and attractive 19th century scholastic stained glass windows. There is a splendid ancient yew tree in the churchyard, being well over 1,000 years old.
The Three Conies Inn
The Three Conies Inn is believed to date from at least the 17th century. It was a drovers' inn providing overnight accommodation for livestock drovers and their stock. The inn has been owned by Hook Norton Brewery Co. Limited since 1920.
The Ox Yard, Thorpe Mandeville
HISTORY OF THE PARISH: This link takes you to a website dedicated to the history of the parish.